Friday, February 3, 2012

Homage to photographer Tim Walker

On July 5, 2010, The New Yorker Magazine published this wonderful photo by Tim Walker, former assistant to fashion photographer Richard Avedon. I kept it in my archives, hoping one day to mimic his technique. Here's the shot, entitled "The Dress/Lamp Tree", taken in England in 2002. And here's his website.

And here's my homage, shot with my D300s and 18-70 mm lens. I shot about half an hour after sunset, on aperture priority to pick up the color of the sky. I used a 2-flash set up.  The first was an SB-700 mounted to my camera and set to 1/32, angled away from the subject. The second flash, an old Morris midi slave, was hidden inside the blouse, suspended from the hanger.  The string was removed in post.

No comments:

Post a Comment